Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dissecting Britney’s US Weekly Lawsuit

Britvin Federspears is really suing US Weekly for libel over their report that the no-so-dynamic duo created a sex tape and they were worried about its release. Legal document were filed last week in Los Angeles Superior Court. Here are some of highlights from “Declaration of Britney Spears in Support of Plaintiff’s Opposition to Defendants’ Special Motion to Strike First Amended Complaint”:

I, Britney Spears, declare and say as follows:

2. When I initially read the Article, I was shocked and humiliated by the outrageous statements. First, my husband and I have not filmed ourselves having sex. Therefore, we obviously did not bring any type of “sex tape” to our lawyers’ offices for any reason, nor were we concerned that someone from our “entourage” was threatening to release such a tape since no “X-rated” tape exists. The entire story is a fabrication.

Britney, I’m shocked and humiliated too but for different reasons. I’m shocked that you and Kevin haven’t made a sex tape, I’m humiliated by your choice of a husband and I’m both shocked and humiliated that you actually let him near you with his federsperm again and are potentially pregnant with federspawn number 2 (number 4+ if we’re talking about the total number of federspawn between all of the baby mamas).

5. I have been informed that the editors of Us Weekly and their lawyers are claiming that the Article would not be damaging to my career or reputation, because I joked about my sex life with my husband on our recent reality television show, Chaotic, and because I have a “highly sexualized public persona.” They are wrong. While I have written and sung certain lyrics about sex and have posted for “sexy” photographs to promote my albums and career, this is certainly not unusual in the musical business and is different than being falsely portrayed as someone who filmed herself and her husband having sex, and then recklessly left the tape in a place where someone from their “entourage” could find and attempt to sell it.
I think Us Weekly has a point here Brit. I oh-so-vividly-and-unfortunately remember the grainy vision of you running on a treadmill talking about the number of times you had sex with Kevin, now your husband, while some other girl was sitting at home in CA pregnant with his second child. Remember that? So according to you, filming yourself having sex with your husband is actually worse than having sex (not on film) with a man who is having a child with another woman. I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Oh, and while we’re at it Brit, flesh-colored, jewel-encrusted body suits, gyrating on stage with an albino snake and singing about being a ‘slave for you’ also doesn’t make your persona highly sexualized, right? Ok, I’m just taking notes on this…

6. Because many of my fans are young women and teenagers, it is important to me, both personally and professionally, that they see me as I am, namely, a married woman who is enjoying her life with her husband and baby. It is very damaging to my career and reputation to be portrayed as someone who would film herself and her husband having sex for the purpose of watching it over and over again, or for any other reason. Contrary to US Weekly’s attempts to paint me as someone who would actually benefit from a story about being in a “sex tape,” I have repeatedly rejected substantial monetary offers to pose in photographs or appear in feature films with my breasts exposed and have no plans to do so in the future.
You think the public should view you as a married woman who is enjoying her life with her husband and son, huh? Are you forgetting about the part that your husband is unemployed? Or the part about you sleeping with him while another woman was pregnant with his child? Or the part about him lying to his girlfriend about getting a job when he was really running off to have sex with you? So don't you think they could also potentially view you as a desperate woman who will sleep with an unemployed man who left a woman in her 7th month of pregnancy to marry you for your money? And when you say you rejected offers to pose with your breasts exposed by breasts you mean “nipples” because I’m pretty sure I’ve seen basically your breast but I haven’t yet seen your nipples. You can view MY Exhibit A (to the right--click on it to enlarge). Just wanted to be clear on that.

7. Throughout my career, I have constantly sought to protect my image, particularly with my younger fans. In that regard, I often communicate with my fans through my official website, www.britneyspears.com, and, as shown in the web pages attached hereto as “Exhibit B,” keep them posted on the latest development of my life and career. As also shown in the attached web pages, I recently helped to establish the Spears Family Hurricane Relief Foundation, a charity that was set up to assist the victims of Hurricane Katrina. As explained on my website, this was my attempt to give back to the people of my home state of Louisiana.
So basically, your argument here Britney is that because you’re from Louisiana, you contribute to your own website and you started a charity, you don’t film yourself having sex.

8. I believe that the Article, which was likely read by millions of people around the world, will harm the sales of my albums, both now and in the future, will damage my ability to land major endorsement deals, and will damage my ability to get high-paying acting roles, particularly in films that are marketed toward younger audiences.
Your final argument Britney, is that a small story in US Weekly like forever ago (so long ago that I forgot about it until I came upon this little lawsuit) is going to harm your album sales and keep you from getting high-paying jobs? What about the fact that people see you as white trash? Or that you have a loser husband who left his pregnant girlfriend for you? Or that you slept with a man who had a pregnant girlfriend? You don’t think the fact that you’re chubby, married to a loser and have a baby takes away from the fantasy you used to be? So once men have the fantasy of you out of your head, do you think they’ll still want to spend money on anything that has to do with you? Do you think that might cause a problem with your ability to land endorsement deals? Oh, and the fact that your debut movie, Crossroads, tanked wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that you won’t be able to get high-paying acting roles, would it? Just asking. I think you should take "the Article, which was likely read by millions of people around the world" out of the first sentence in number 8 and insert " my husband" in its place and sue the hell out of him. Aahh...the sweet sound of a has-been pop star looking for a scapegoat for her TANKING career. [source]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She should name Shar Jackson because "just because she's Shar Jackson".

Anonymous said...

I would be more inclined to believe that they have made a sexs tape. I unfortunatley watched the show that they made and in more than one occasion Britney was stradling Kevin and there remarks would make it seem that they just finished doing the nasty. Kev didn't looked clothed

Anonymous said...

Wow... talk about ripping someone to shreds - but she walked right into this one! Great job... talk about not accepting blame for her dwindling career, I think she blamed everyone but the obvious - KFed.