Monday, November 27, 2006

Guess What I Learned on TV Today?!

Have the ratings on your favorite show been slipping? Have the storylines been recycled one too many times? Are there just too many amnesia stories out there, too many back from the dead storylines clogging your daytime television pores? Worry not, my friend. All My Children is about to Proactiv your daytime soap opera breakout with... A TRANSGENDERED CHARACTER. Uh huh!

In a story unusual even for a soap opera (did I really just say that?), ABC's "All My Children" this week will introduce a transgender character who is beginning to make the transition from a man into a woman.

Damon Romine, a spokesman for GLAAD, said he hasn't seen the show yet but feels people involved were genuinely interested in telling the story with dignity. Emotions are so close to the surface in soap operas, and this story can serve a purpose by showing what transgenders go through, he said.

Leave it to the soaps to educate unemployed american housewives about transgender issues. Very smart move, people. Very smart move. I'm impressed.

[source]

No comments: