Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hacker Wanted: Reward - A New Car

The teenage hacker who managed to unlock the iPhone so that it can be used with cellular networks other than AT&T will be trading his reworked gadget for a new car.

George Hotz, of Glen Rock, New Jersey, said he had reached the deal with CertiCell, a Louisville, Kentucky-based mobile phone repair company. Hotz posted on his blog that he traded his modified iPhone for "a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones." "This has been a great end to a great summer," Hotz wrote. The 17-year-old Hotz said he will be sending the three new iPhones to the three online collaborators who helped him divorce Apple Inc's popular product from AT&T's network. The job took 500 hours, or about 8 hours a day since the iPhone's June 29 launch. Hotz made the deal with Terry Daidone, co-founder of CertiCell, who also promised the teen a paid consulting job. "We do not have any plans on the table right now to commercialize Mr. Hotz' discovery," Daidone said in a statement. [source]

Lucky sonofabitch. I'll take apart my stupid pink razr if someone wants to give me a car and a new job. Hell, I'll do a lot more than just take apart a phone. In fact, I'd do just about anything to have someone just give me a new car. Bob Barker was probably my best bet. I guess I'll have to ask Drew Carey now....

No comments: